66 percent of Americans are currently trying to lose weight or struggling to maintain their current weight!
There are many factors that make these goals difficult to accomplish. Lack of information, above all, is the most prominent issue people face when searching for permanent weight loss solutions. Between that and the overflow of misleading media images of ‘diet culture’ and weight loss ideas that saturate the internet, it is becoming increasingly difficult to decipher between temporary fads and genuinely effective approaches.
How Can Functional Health Help?
Functional medicine regards permanent weight loss in terms of an imbalance that needs to be corrected in order for the individual to obtain optimal health. Your weight gain or inability to lose weight may be due to an underlying health issue. This could easily go unnoticed and untreated when blindly following the latest fad diet.
As every individual has widely varied health needs, they must be treated as such when it comes to weight management. Instead, the diet industry offers a uniform approach for everyone. They promise fast and unsustainable results in exchange for a hefty financial investment and ultimately gain profit from your discomfort and unhappiness!
The field of functional medicine works to dismantle this terrible cycle. It places an emphasis on the entirety of the individual, including physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Purely focusing on only one of these elements is where the diet industry falls short.
By addressing ALL aspects of wellbeing, functional health methods have been proven to increase instances of permanent weight loss success and satisfaction!
One of the mental shifts needed when adopting a functional health mindset is to change your relationship with the word “diet.” Instead, eating healthy should be something that is celebrated and enjoyed!
Healthy foods, like salads, don’t have to be bland and boring! Check out this easy (and tasty) go-to salad recipe
Quinoa Salad – 330 calories (1 serving)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine quinoa and the water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water(10 to 15 minutes). Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine the chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and parsley. Set aside.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, and salt. Whisk until blended, then set aside.
- Once the quinoa is mostly cool, add it to the serving bowl, and drizzle the dressing on top. Toss in remaining ingredients until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Season with black pepper and salt.
This salad is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser!
Remember – The food you eat is only one element of your weight loss journey. It’s just as important to be active, to stay positive, and to surround yourself with positive relationships. Your mental health must always be considered when embarking on a sustainable and permanent weight loss journey!